Sunday, November 15, 2015

Dunderdale Pearl, Fleckerl



Whether you've built one boat or many, the day their chrysalides shed is infectiously gay.
Ralph Merriman began his Dunderdale Pearl a handful of years ago, and with a couple health setbacks, finished her yesterday. He asked friends to help move the Pearl, Fleckerl from his patio shop, through the living room of his house to the driveway, where a new trailer waited.


We've followed Ralph's build from the beginning. When asked how many boats he's built, he'll modestly tell you he doesn't quite remember. I know for a fact he's built six skiff type boats and he suggests he's built another six kayaks. Prolific and precise, that's Ralph.









Ralph has already made Fleckerl's masts, rudder and centerboard. The permanent lead ballast is cast. New fully battened sails lay in suspension. Hardware has been dry-fitted.







With the help of at least twelve volunteers, the Tom Dunderdale Pearl, Fleckerl emerges to the light of a wet Fall day into the element of it's design.





Next installment will be a demonstration of Fleckerl's wind and water waltz.









Initial Instructions from doryman on Vimeo.

Test Move from doryman on Vimeo.

On the Trailer in the Rain from doryman on Vimeo.

In case you don't know what a fleckerl is....





To be a devil's advocate, I ran back and took a quick shot of Ralph's empty work space with the intention of catching him with nothing to do.











He headed me off with a photo of the same space the next morning with a strong-back set up for a new kayak.

Go, Ralph!








Congratulations on another fine boat build my friend.











9 comments:

Alden Smith said...

Awesome job. I understand the satisfaction of such a build myself. Sailing it will be the icing on the cake!

doryman said...

Sadly winter is knocking on the door in this hemisphere. We'll be content to follow your exploits down-under for the next few months.......

Bursledon Blogger said...

Congratulations to Ralph _ great looking boat look forward to hearing how she sails


robert.ditterich said...

A lovely detailed post- and a very attractive hull. Thanks!

doryman said...

I think Tom Dunderdale has a real winner in this little skiff. She's going to be a hard one to catch, on the wing.

callsign222 said...

Those Campion designs never get enough play, at least in the America's. I'm happy to see this one! Looking forward to seeing it rigged up and on on the water. What rig did he choose? Gunter, cutter, sloop?

doryman said...

I took a photo as I passed the desk, which I've added at the end of the post. Ralph says all the sails will be fully battened, with a decided roach.

Chris said...

Did you ever get to take some pictures of the boat rigged and under sail?
I am currently looking at buying the plans for Pearl or the bigger Annie, but there are so little info on the Campion designs online.

I have been writing a bit back and forth with Tom Dunderdale the last weeks trying to figure out which boat is the best option for me.

doryman said...

Sorry Chris, your note was hiding. I asked Ralph a couple days ago where he was on this vessel. As expected, he's hard at work on yet another kayak. Sadly the Pearl sits and waits to be finished. I might have to take it over myself.......