Saturday, April 9, 2016

Doryman's Boatyard





As you might guess, the restoration of Belle Starr is at the top of the list. Working outside definitely has it's drawbacks and I've known all along that when spring weather approached, there would be a frenzy of activity. Nothing new there - to a sailor, the weather dictates everything.






Belle Starr is a happy boat. She's very near being ready to launch. All that remains are the fiddly bits, the structural work is complete. In fact, I have a friendly wager with a fellow sailor about who will launch first. Sometime late this month is my best guess. Despite being very anxious about splashing her, I want Belle Starr to be better than before her accident. This view of the starboard side was a ragged hole not too long ago.







The starboard side from the interior. Those pesky, leaky deadlights have been re-bedded at last!
There are some upgrades this time around. New winches grace the deck to assist in keeping the halyards tight. I'd like to have winches for the new genny too, but that will have to wait. The interior is handsomely reworked. With the boat completely empty, refinishing everything was imperative. It's very rewarding to sew up loose ends. For instance, there will be no more hauling and stowing plastic jugs of water. A rudimentary water system featuring a bladder tank and hand pump now simplifies that task.






An unexpected bonus to this tragedy was revealed while repairing the rudder, which was snapped off at the waterline.


The two sets of gudgeons and pintles that were underwater were corroded to the point that they could have failed at any time. I'm not a welder (at times like this, I wish I was...) so having new hardware fabricated has suddenly become one of the most costly elements of this repair. It will be good to know that the rudder is once again firmly attached to the boat. Losing steerage is a sailor's nightmare.






Meanwhile, look at what followed me back to the shop... an Old Town canoe. I've had my eye on this beauty for a decade. I haven't had a chance to look up the serial numbers yet, but she's probably in the neighborhood of seventy years old.

My friend Rick Johnson finally took pity on me and we loaded her down from the rafters of his shop. She now graces the rafters of mine. It could be a while before she gets the attention she deserves, but when she does, you'll be the first to know.

10 comments:

EyeInHand said...

Better she is, indeed. Well done, sir. And nice catch on the hardware. Actually, nice catch on the canoe, as well.

doryman said...

Got the bottom paint mostly done today. Pretty happy around here, Barry. Thanks for your support, as always.

Brandon Ford said...

I knew she would be better than new with you doing the work. Way to go Doryman.

Anonymous said...

Great job, she looks better than new. What a catch on the canoe.

shipwright said...

Does my heart good Michael.
I'm looking forward to cruising with you and Belle after Montague.

doryman said...

I'd never make it to Montague if it hadn't been for you, Paul. Jamie was here just the other day and we opened the cruising topic. I don't care where we go, just happy to be there. Been sailing all winter with Martin but it's not the same as sailing my own boat. Looking forward to it.

doryman said...

Brandon, I can't take all the credit and perhaps the biggest kudos go to Scott Hauser, the builder of Belle Starr. His excellent work made her worth saving at all. I've been helped and encouraged all along the way, for which I am eternally grateful.

Alden Smith said...

One step at a time... and she's looking good. She looked so sad in those first photos of the damage - she's looking a lot happier now.

doryman said...

One step at a time is right, Alden. Today I installed the gas tank and battery. Also new varnish on the interior. Right now it seems like a typical haul-out, with the usual minor yet endless details.

Anonymous said...

I've also been following Paul's posts on his lunberjocks site. He has a more recent photo are you going to do some more updates soon?