Monday, April 27, 2009

Uncle Gabe’s Flattie Skiff


The Uncle Gabe Skiff, designed by Sam Rabl and built by Rick Johnson with assistance from Doryman, made it's debut in the sunshine of an April afternoon.
A great all around boat. And it's an easy boat to build, too!

This is the skiff Doryman rowed out to the buoy and back, remember that story? There is no doubt this boat needs a sail rig. Since I'm a co-builder, I'll just have to get on it, eh?

Lou takes Sam for a ride. Pretty good deal for Sam, don't you think?

I think Lou is having fun, too!




We fiberglassed the outside of the hull for durability and added a skeg made of Iron Wood to improve tracking.







The boss is watching. Get to work, slacker!







Just before the show, the skiff was in the shop for last minute details. Rick Johnson, Master Shipwright, gives her some pretty finish trim.






This boat is intended for kids who have never handled a boat before, so it needs to take everything they give.


Notice that Rick's sign for his shop is inside the shop! (click on image to enlarge)
That's what I like about my friend.

As yet unnamed, this skiff has been built over the last year by volunteers as a donation to the nascent kid's rowing program at the Port of Toledo, Oregon. With funding for materials from the Depoe Bay Boat Foundation and the Port of Toledo.
The kid's rowing program; a prospective future project for Doryman.......

Please see previous posts about building the Uncle Gabe skiff, a design by Sam Rabl.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've built several of these skiffs for friends over the years. A delight to row and great static stability. I'm starting a new one this evening, the first in 27 years for me!! One slight note, though, the skiff was built, according to Rabl, by a Negro boatbuilder who lived in the Botkin's Creek area of Chesapeake Bay, or so Rabl says in his BBIYOB. Nice work on the boat...thanks for sharing.
jl

doryman said...

The Uncle Gabe is indeed a fine all-around boat.
We've used this one for three years now, in our community outreach program, and it's provided a lot of people with a pleasant first-time-at-the-oars.
The hull is so simple, one wonders why make any design more difficult? It can be trimmed out to any level you like. Sam Rabl got this one right.

I suspect the story about the builder was a literary affectation, but it's a good story anyway.

Jim said...

Around 1976 I bought Sam's book and built one 14+ feet long of 3/4" pine planks, oakum and caulking cotton, using basic hand tools, the block plane being the most used. I estimated it weighed in, with a coat of marine paint, at 240 pounds. I car topped it twice before buying a put-it-together yourself boat trailer. This boat was so wonderful that it beyond description. It rows easily, turns on a dime, and is stable.

doryman said...

Thanks for bringing me back to this old blog post, Jim. I had to smile when you said your boat was 240 pounds.
Of the many boats I've built, the Uncle Gabe is still one of my favorites. Still in use, too, every summer. The kids (and some adults) at the community boat house love it

Jim said...

Mine went everywhere, marsh, lake, pond, sea channels. The kids would put their camping gear in it, and off we'd go for a week at Lake Rabun. They even, once, helped me repaint it. Sold it in late '90s; it was still seaworthy.

Cisne Borracha said...

I built a 12 foot from solid pine last summer and it would be a great boat if it didn’t leak due to the planks drying out. She is stable, easy to row , and deadly as a fish stalker. I’m working on another, 14 ft, from plywood right now, which will have sailing capability.

Jim said...

Get a caulking iron and some caulking cotton. Caulk it. Paint over the caulking seams.